What is Jiaogulan

this article helps explain what is jiaogulan and the many uses

by Dave

This site’s main focus is on the personal experience people have had regarding the benefits of jiaogulan, but I thought this article should first address What is Jiaogulan.

Jiaogulan is an herbaceous vine of the cucumber family and was originally found in  the southern areas of China, Japan and Southern Korea.  As time went on Thailand began growing Jiaogulan Tea and is now quit famous for their special variety.

Jiaogulan has been called many names (my favorite is magic twisting vine tea) and is accepted in both eastern and western circles as an anthropogenic herb and anti-oxidant.

As you begin to educate AND experience Jiaogulan for yourself.  You will begin to change the question from “What is Jiaogulan”, to “What Isn’t it!”.

The people living in the Guizhou Province affectionately call Jiaogulan the tea of immortality, because it is said that those that drank it (several times a day) – lived to an extremely old age and still had radiant skin and health.

Jiaogulan is sometimes called “Southern Ginseng“, for a few reasons:

  1. It grows in south  China
  2. Because of its similarity to ginseng in chemical composition and function.

Jiaogulan is sometimes called “Poor Man’s Ginseng“, for a few reasons too:

  1. Just like above it has the similar properties of Ginseng (primarily the saponins and gypenosides)
  2. It is WAY less expensive and WAY easier to prepare than Ginseng.

Though Jiaogulan is in Traditional Chinese Medicine… it is not mentioned to much in its history because where it was originally found grown, there was not much documentation.  Again, this is only in the beginning, as Jiaogulan is widely used now in all parts of Asia.

As you will learn from the other Jiaogulan posts, the herb can be consumed several different ways:

  1. As a Jiaogulan Tea
  2. As a Jiaogulan Tonic
  3. As a Jiaogulan Supplement
  4. As a whole food ingredient like a Jiaogulan Green Smoothie!

Only after exerimenting with all the ways to enjoy Jiaogulan tea will you find the way that is best for you!

Japanese scientists began documenting and studying the illness-prevention qualities of Jiaogulan tea in the late seventies… they discovered qualities like:

  1. saponins (that’s the bubbles that occur while pouring the hot water on the herb when preparing a jiaogulan tea)
  2. trace minerals
  3. amino acids
  4. vitamins
  5. and even Protein!

This article was to get you excited about the discovery of Jiaogulan and to answer briefly the question What is Jiaogulan.  Hope it helps and stay tuned for more Jiaogulan tips, tricks, and recipes!

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention Jiaogulan Benefits | What is Jiaogulan? -- Topsy.com
April 3, 2010 at 10:43 am

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Tamara December 12, 2010 at 12:36 pm

How do we get on the “Cut The Line” list for the Jiaogulan supplies?

admin December 12, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi Tamara!

Unfortunately the cut the line email list was up until a few weeks ago.. we had to take it down b/c it would not be fair for the people who signed up for the cut the line list 6 months ago after we sold out.. but last time we did not sell out to the cut the line list.. about 60% was sold and then the other 40% was sold from the getkombucha list.. so as long as you can purchase around 11am EST you should be good to go!

Dave

Leave a Comment

Next post: